Pages

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Week one: Cantaloupe and Salmon Jerky

This past week has been “like drinking from a fire hydrant,” to put it mildly. Theology and technology have been colliding in ways I never considered. I’m sure it will be a while before all this is comfortable, but the questions raised in my mind are leaps and bounds beyond necessary. The phrase “It’s about time!” comes to mind.

As we are introduced to the content of Axis, I’ve resolved to know my stuff. I’m here, so I should be devoted to learning and understanding. If I give it any less than my full attention, would I really be fulfilling my role here and obeying Deuteronomy 6:5? I don’t think so. So, while my questions might aggravate some of our fearless leaders, I’m hoping they forgive me.

Here, I will tackle three of the bigger issues consuming my thoughts: the nature of technology, the use of social media, and the idea of loving something.

To start, one leader posed the question- is technology inherently good or evil? I had always thought of advancements as neutral. Having no souls, how could a hammer or a cell phone make cognitive choices to obey, submit, or follow something? It can’t. Technology does help us perform tasks faster, more efficiently, and in greater quantity, but is that really part of cultivating the garden? Gen 2:15 says, “Then the Lord took [Adam] and put him into the garden of Eden to cultivate it and to keep it” (NASB). The words cultivate and keep mean to work and to guard. In that context, perhaps technology is an example of working toward progress, but must we always do that? I don't have the answer.

The next concept is social media (defined as Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and Google+). I’ve never really been a digital guru, but I can’t quite justify leaving it unexplored. My thoughts have most recently been that we should just leave the screens behind and use entirely traditional forms of communication: writing, talking, print, etc. But that idea is completely reliant upon the assumption that those media are the ultimate methods. In reality, print wasn’t really ‘normal’ until after Gutenberg around 1440, and literacy in America has only been ‘normal’ since around 1890.

A great quote from one of the guys in the office really challenged my thinking: “It’s cheap, but it’s where [students] live.” I need to adjust my thinking to adjust to culture. It’s not about what I like, it’s about meeting people “where they’re at.” I’m still not a huge fan of social media, but I’m opening up to it.  

Finally, I’ve been asking myself what I love. At Axis they say that you are what you love and that your loves show who you are. So what do I love? Being in the Word, building real and lasting relationships, traveling, adventure, learning, cooking, tea, music, and making a home (ironic, huh?). I don’t consider myself possessing an exceptional talent or calling. I’m just trying to use the gifts I recognize to be most useable to God. It’s a slow process, but I’m learning.
It would be easy to say you love something, but when confronted, would you really spend your precious time on it?

People say they love Jesus all the time, but do they really spend time with Him? Do they read His love letter or actually realize the full impact of the Gospel? It is not just good news, it’s great news! Since the beginning of time, He has been reaching out to us, trying to bridge the gap of our imperfections to build a relationship. Who else would be willing to continually forgive us for breaking His heart? I’m not implying that Jesus is us just because He loves us, He is so much more. It’s just important to be fully aware of what we actually love.

This past week has brought many challenges, but I am confident the Lord has brought me here to learn how to really answer these kinds of questions.

But this week has been more than learning. Because of the holiday, we were only in the office three of the five work days. I spent the other two days near Copper Mountain, about two hours from Colorado Springs. A fellow intern works up there and offered to show us around.
My first time on a ski lift at Copper Mountain!
Photo by Luke
After spending a day walking around a yoga festival and hiking around a mountain, we attended a fourth of July party at a local pastor's house. We met some great people and had the chance to practice our three days of Axis content.
That evening we were graciously hosted (very last minute!) by a new friend. He offered us three comfortable beds and made us feel at home. We were sad to leave the next morning, and as we toured a nearby town, we were determined to find a gift that would lightly express our deep gratitude for his hospitality. Seeing a local food cart featuring fruit and jerky, we acquired an unconventional thank you- cantaloupe and salmon jerky. Which, due to the nature of my fantastic new friends led to the following joke:

Q: Why can't the two melons get married tonight?
A: Because they cantaloupe!

I know. I know. My friends are awesome.

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. As the Lord works in me, He is reaching out to do the same in you. May you have the eyes, heart, and humility to see Him work in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment