Pages

Monday, July 22, 2013

Leave the pastries, take the orange juice


Sometimes I feel like I live in a giant Sam’s Club, and I’m just walking the aisles sampling the pizza bites and fruit snacks. I’m guided by whim and fancy until I reach the perfect deal. No such thing exists, ladies and gentlemen. I bring a grocery list for a reason: focus. We must keep our eyes on our shopping list and proceed post-haste until we reach the checkout line.

Now, that is not to say that I am focused on the eternal checkout line, but rather I choose to acknowledge that sometimes as we pursue a goal we have to make decisions about the short-term deal in hopes of the long-term benefit.   

As a woman, one of the biggest hurdles is the emotional reaction to a beautiful bag of pastries or the explosive prices of a gallon of orange juice. I could leave without the orange juice, but if I bought the pastries, I would definitely be cheating myself.


Life is bigger than orange juice or pastries, and sometimes we need to remember the bigger picture. Personal preference has to take a backseat to our purpose on the planet. I’ve talked about Deuteronomy 6:5, and that truly is the best I can come up with at this point.

Purpose takes many forms, but there has to be a distinct orientation toward the finish line. I have often been guilty of trying to find the one purpose that will tie my entire life into a nice bow. Realistically, we only see a couple steps ahead at a time. For a planner, this is a nightmare.

Good thing God is bigger than the boogieman.

Like I said before, emotional reactions can often allow us to cheat ourselves of something better (though I must admit, pastries sound pretty good right about now). It’s all about sacrificing the comfort of now for the benefit of the future. As a twenty-something, this is hardly appealing, but I didn’t make the rules.

In Philippians, Paul says he has learned to be content in any circumstance, being filled by things beyond the physical (4:11-13). Sometimes the bravest thing to do is to give up that which you want most for the promise of something better later.


1 comment:

  1. I really like what you said about sacrificing the comfort of now for the benefit of the future and how your age ties into the struggle to attain that. We have a lot to learn from denying ourselves, delaying our gratification, and saying no. Especially as 20-somethings who want to say yes to everything and hope everything fits. I think giving up that which we want most for the promise of something better later--fasting, for example--does much to exercise our spiritual muscles, our fortitude to withstand temptation, and our ability to make good decisions for both the short and the long term. (As well as teach us to keep a stable attitude when we don't get what we want).
    Beautiful post and great metaphors. Thanks for taking the time to write your thoughts out so coherently.

    ReplyDelete