Pages

Monday, August 19, 2013

Georgia on my Mind


We spent last week in Georgia, speaking to a Christian high school of about 250. For a first presentation it wasn’t bad, but I found it difficult to communicate. There are so many ideas that have to be shown rather than told. It was unrealistically discouraging that the students didn’t hang on every word and beg to know more. Putting myself in their shoes, I would have only remembered the flashy music slides, too. 

However, the community was exceptional. Since Axis had already spoken at the school, the administrators and teachers were extremely welcoming and encouraging. I felt very at home.

The one problem I kept coming back to was the very community I so enjoyed. There was no problem with the people; the problem was that I felt that I could not have enough of an impact as a transient speaker. Don’t get me wrong, speakers can have an incredible impact on an audience in a short amount of time. Messages can be delivered at just the right moment to change a person’s life forever. Tidbits of information or inspiration stick like coffee stains in your favorite mug, adding color to your life in a way nothing else could. There can be impact.

I just felt like the best way I could impact anyone would be through settling down and doing life with them. Settling down is a foreign concept to me, but the best moments seem to be at the very end of my stay someplace, and that’s the closest I’ve come to settling. 

But what would it mean to settle in one place? I believe in the power of sustainability, but that requires… commitment. GASP! Committing? To live somewhere? For an undetermined amount of time? Is it possible?

People do it all the time, or so I hear. It’s as common as s’mores at a camp out, and yet I can’t help but wonder if I’ve ever really been camping. One can camp without really camping, much like someone can settle without actually settling.

To settle in a place is one thing, but the most important factor is the people. Committing to a person or people is not a simple task. I cannot pick where my home is. I can’t pick a place wherein I can pull into town and know where the post office is. I can’t pick a place where I am known by name and habit. I can’t pick a place to be welcome for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter without invitation but assumption. A home is a place to belong and be known, but I fear that only comes with time and giving up a part of yourself.

Am I willing to give up a part of myself to have a home, a community, a role? Am I willing to give up the comfort and anonymity of constant travel and relocation?


1 comment:

  1. You are right, constant travel and relocation is comfortable. Anonymity is safe. That's why I didn't understand when people felt pity for me upon learning that I had moved so many times. It was safe to me. It was comforting. But it also meant when it was time for me to sit a while and let people in, I didn't know how. I've dealt with a lot of distrust on my part and I'm used to feeling safe in my isolation and independence. But now I can understand the pity; never to experience a place to call home, missing out on taking family and friends for granted (that is a privilege) is a pity. Someday perhaps... =)

    ReplyDelete